Tuesday, July 10, 2012

ew.

My run today sucked. I started week 4 of C25K, which is arguably when you actually start running a little bit for real. I managed the two 3-minute runs and the first 5-minute okay, but between the HILLS and going off a bit too quickly at first, I withered out during the second long run. Had to take 2 walk breaks, but I made up for the time lost by running again on my way back for a song (~3 - 4 minutes). How slow I'm going is really starting to irritate me. I'm stuck at about a 13:30 minute mile. I started out at ~11/10:30 minute mile, but I think that's because I was using the super short intervals as sprinting opportunities. This is the absolute fastest pace I can reach at the moment to sustain myself. I know that I can do speedwork later, but I just feel SO GODDAMN SLOW.

Funny little things that made me happy today:

  • A woman passed me, turned around and gave me a thumbs up and said "great job!". I don't know why this cheered me up so much, but it did. It kept me going. :)
  • I use MapMyRun to track my runs, mostly so I can see my pitiful speed and record my mileage. There was a particularly hilly "course" on my route, and when I went to check it afterwards, I came in 10th place! Out of 11! I didn't come in last! I can't believe I'm counting "not coming in last place" as an accomplishment. But whatever.
My current favourite thing to eat for breakfast/lunch/always is a scrambled egg with homemade salsa and a sprinkle of queso fresco, all wrapped in a tortilla. It is so good and filling, and it tops out at about 350 calories. I hate to be that person, but I've been incredibly enamoured with traditional Mexican food since I read Born to Run. I also got another book about indigenous diets around the world associated with "cold spots" - places where there are unusually low occurrences of Western diseases - and I've been making a lot of recipes from it. It's called The Jungle Effect by Daphne Miller, MD. 

Workouts this week: 2
Miles walked/ran/oh my god i cannot breathe this month: 8.9
How awesome I feel today: 7


No comments:

Post a Comment